Updated: Jan 21, 2019
‘Tis the season to be eggnoggy, Fa La La La La- La La La La! Eggnog is such a rich, delicious treat for the holidays, but it is ohhh sooo not healthy for you. Traditional eggnog recipes consist of ingredients like egg yolks (okay, not so terrible yet), high fructose corn syrup, risky preservatives like carrageenan, thickeners like cornstarch and guar gum and artificial colors like yellow 5 and 6. Not exactly something you want to raise a glass to. In this Coconut Eggnog recipe, you are getting a healthier but equally delicious festive drink for you and your guests. Oh, and did we mention it’s spiked? Adult elves only!
You will need a good quality blender like a Vitamix. If you don’t have anything fancy, a regular blender or single-serve blending machine will do. You will also need a stove or a cooktop. For the easy version, put your egg yolks, nutmeg, sugar (or honey), cinnamon and coconut milk in your blender. If you are choosing honey, I recommend grabbing some local, raw honey if possible. Leave your booze out for now. Blend away until smooth. Feel free to sing, “Jingle Bells” while doing so. I won’t judge. ☺
Once you are done with your Christmas caroling and blending, pour all of your ingredients in a medium saucepan and warm it up. Be careful not to let it boil. When your mixture just begins to thicken, it’s ready. Let it chill in your fridge for a few hours or overnight, and then whisk in your spiced rum or brandy just before serving. You can also use bourbon or cognac if you would like to. Whatever floats your boat!
We use coconut milk for this recipe just because it limits the amount of dairy in the recipe and it tastes great. You can try this recipe out with any type of milk from regular whole milk to almond milk, cashew milk or even rice milk. Rice milk or almond milk may make for a thinner consistency eggnog, while cashew or whole milk will give you a thicker beverage. The choice is yours!
If you have extra special eggnog skills to use, you can always try the traditional version. Heat coconut milk and vanilla until warm in medium saucepan. Whisk or blend the egg yolks, sugar and spices in a blender. Slowly add in about half of the coconut mixture to the egg yolks to warm it and then add the whole mixture back into the saucepan. Bring up to low heat and whisk until barely starting to thicken.
Stir in rum or brandy and serve hot or cold.
Coconut Eggnog Recipe
• 6 cups of coconut milk (about 3 cans)
• 6 egg yolks
• ¼ cup (or more) spiced rum or brandy (optional)
• 1 tablespoon of vanilla
• ¼ cup honey or cane sugar or a few drops of stevia extract (optional)
• ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
• ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1. How To Make (Easy Version)
2. Put all ingredients except alcohol in Vitamix or high powered blender and blend until smooth.
3. SLOWLY bring up to low heat in a medium saucepan, being careful not to let it boil. When it is warmed and barely starting to thicken, it is ready.
4. Chill in fridge for a few hours or overnight and whisk alcohol in just before serving.
5. How To Make (Traditional Way)
6. Heat coconut milk and vanilla until warm in medium saucepan.
7. Whisk or blend the egg yolks, sugar and spices in a blender.
8. Slowly add in about half of the coconut mixture to the egg yolks to warm it and then add the whole mixture back into the saucepan.
9. Bring up to low heat and whisk until barely starting to thicken.
10. Stir in rum or brandy and serve hot or cold.
Love + Light,